Tyrannosaurs — Meet the Family
Created by the Australian Museum and available for placement through Evergreen Exhibitions starting Fall 2022.
You think you know T. rex – think again.
This exhibition brings the latest tyrannosaur discoveries to life, overturning our preconceptions about these ferocious predators. While the most famous is the mighty T. rex, tyrannosaurs came in all shapes and sizes and from all over the globe, and their history goes back over 100 million years. New tyrannosaurs, like the crested Guanlong from China, are changing and challenging our understanding of the evolution of these iconic, well-loved dinosaurs.
The exhibition explores the ‘most feared and revered’ of all dinosaurs in new and different ways. The exhibition’s real and replica specimens are not only spectacular in scale and form, but also reveal some of the most significant discoveries in palaeontology of the past decade. Tyrannosaurs offers visitors a look at rare and magnificent fossils, reconstructing the life-sized skeletons of these terrifying carnivores like you’ve never seen before. The exhibition includes Scotty, a cast of one of the largest and most complete T. rex skeletons in the world. One of the most exciting developments in dinosaur palaeontology over the past five years has been the discovery of early Asian tyrannosaurs – the ancestors of later giants like T. rex. Discoveries like this are changing the story of the evolution of tyrannosaurs. New research is also shedding light on the true character of T. rex, the most ‘extreme’ tyrannosaur.
Tyrannosaurs presents exceptional fossils as well as striking life-sized skeletons and models. Interactives in the exhibition help visitors learn about the evolution of the tyrannosaurs and the latest scientific stories behind these remarkable creatures. Tyrannosaurs incorporates innovative multimedia experiences to engage audiences of all ages. Tyrannosaurs takes a playful approach to presenting the exhibition elements, while ensuring layered content is available to explore the science behind this most popular dinosaur group.
- What is a Tyrannosaur?
- Meet the Family
- Explore the Family
- T. rex – The Ultimate
- T. rex – Alive!
- Tyrannosaurs – The Legacy
- Real tyrannosaur specimens
- 5 complete tyrannosaur cast skeletons
- 7 tyrannosaur cast skulls
- Augmented reality experience
- Immersive, customizable video projection tunnel
- Interactives and multimedia
- Free mobile app game that challenges users to find and unlock different tyrannosaurs. The Tyrannosaurs app has had over 3.1 million downloads to date!
Download a Brochure
- Exhibit size: 6,500 – 10,000 square feet
- Target Audience: families, students
- Available Spring, Summer, Fall
The exhibition debuted at the Australian Museum in Sydney.
The exhibition has also appeared at:
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington, New Zealand
- Scienceworks, Museums Victoria, Australia
- Newcastle Museum, New South Wales, Australia
- Waterloo Region Museum, Kitchener, Canada
- Discovery Centre, Halifax, Canada
- Science Center of Iowa, Des Moines
- Discovery Place, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Durham Museum, Omaha, Nebraska
- National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland
To learn more about Tyrannosaurs – Meet the Family:
+44 (0) 7966 139 867
Additional information about the exhibition can also be
found at australian.museum/touring